James A. “Jamey” Harris, III assists companies and individuals in a wide variety of matters in the areas of commercial and products liability litigation. His practice focuses on real estate litigation, banking and financial services litigation, insurance litigation, public finance litigation, personal injury defense, elevator and escalator litigation, and products liability defense.
In products liability defense, he has defended manufacturers of products that include abrasives, asbestos, chemicals, electrical controls, electrical distribution equipment, medical devices, motors and drive systems, and personal protective equipment.
Jamey has successfully represented clients in federal and state courts in Alabama, the United States Court of Federal Claims, and United States Courts of Appeal for the Eleventh and Third Circuits. He has served as state and regional counsel for some of the nation’s largest companies and has been an advocate for individual clients.
Significant Reported Decisions
- Corley v. Long-Lewis, Inc., 965 F.3d 1222 (11th 2020);
- Corley v. Long-Lewis, Inc., 855 F.3d 1294 (11th 2017);
- Corley v. Long-Lewis, Inc., 688 F. Supp. 2d 1315 (Ala. 2010).
- Bobo v. TVA, 855 F.3d 1294 (11th 2017).
- Morgan v. Bill Vann Co., 969 F. Supp. 2d 1358 (S. D. Ala. 2013).
- Shanklin v. New Pilgrim Towers, 58 So.3d 1251 (Ala.Civ.App. 2010)
- Picard v. Credit Solutions, Inc., 564 F.3d 1249 (11th 2009).
- Brasfield & Gorrie, L.LC. v. SOHO Partners, L.L.C, 35 So.3d 601 (Ala. 2009).
- Tell v. Terex Corp., 962 So. 2d 174 (Ala. 2007).
- Morguson v. 3M Co., 857 So. 2d 796 (Ala. 2003).
- Hannah v. Gregg Bland & Berry, Inc., 840 So. 2d 839 (Ala. 2002)
- Porterfield v. Audubon Indemnity, 856 So.2d 789 (Ala. 2002) - Reported as decision of the week by the National Law Journal
- Ex Parte A.B./Wildwood Limited Partnership, 793 So.2d 784 (2000).
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America (2024, Commercial Litigation; Product Liability Litigation – Defendants)
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Alabama Super Lawyers
Community & Professional
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- American Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Committee
- Past President, Mountain Brook Lacrosse Association
- Lead Articles Editor, Law and Psychology Review, 1992 – 1993
- Banking and Financial Institutions
- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights
- Employment and Labor
- Estate Planning and Administration
- Pharmaceutical and Medical Device
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Public Finance (Bonds)
- Real Estate
Juris Doctor: University of Alabama, 1993
Bachelor's Degree: Duke University, cum laude, 1990
- Admitted to Alabama bar, 1993
- United States District Court for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Alabama
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit