David has spent decades defending domestic and foreign clients in catastrophic personal injury and death cases, with an emphasis on product litigation in the automotive, heavy equipment, consumer and recreational product arenas, as well as premises litigation. Throughout his career, David has repeatedly defended product manufacturers in matters involving an expanse of defect allegations. He has guided his clients through government inquiries and recalls, at times on matters in the public spotlight. Given his experience defending pattern litigation and his deep institutional knowledge, David’s clients rely on him not only for representation in individual cases, but also high exposure complex mass torts where he has coordinated product defense at both the national and regional levels. David also represents his clients in matters before state regulatory agencies, such as the Mississippi Motor Vehicle Commission.
David’s practice extends outside Mississippi, with matters in state and federal courts throughout the country and U.S. territories, including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. In Mississippi and beyond, David’s clients turn to him for representation in high profile, “bet the company” litigation, and he has defended clients in dozens of cases tried to verdict. Matters of note include: Tanks v. Lockheed Martin Corporation (in multiple state and federal courts in Mississippi); Shelter Ins. v. Mercedes Benz U.S.A., LLC (United States District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi); Palmer v. Volkswagen of America, Inc. (Circuit Court of Hinds County, Mississippi) (National Law Journal “Top 20 defense verdict” in 2001); Clark v. Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (Circuit Court of Hinds County, Mississippi); In Re: Toyota Corporation Unintended Acceleration Marketing, Sales Practices and Products Litigation (United States District Court for the Central District of California); Scholan v. Toyota Motor Corporation (Circuit Court of the Seventh Judicial Circuit, Florida); Schara v. Toyota Motor Corporation (United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia); and, In Re: Bridgestone/Firestone, Inc. Tires Product Liability Litigation (United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana).
David is a member of several professional organizations, including the American College of Trial Lawyers, all of which can be found below.
Honors & Recognitions
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Chambers USA-America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2009-present, Litigation: General Commercial; 2019, Product Liability & Mass Torts; 2021, Product Liability: Automotive)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers (2006-present, Personal Injury Defense: Products; Top 50 Mississippi)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2009-22, Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants; Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants; Product Liability Litigation - Defendants)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Jackson, Mississippi Lawyer of the Year (2016-2017, 2019 and 2021, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants)
- Who's Who Legal (Product Liability Defence, 2015-17; 2021)
Community & Professional
- The Mississippi Bar
- American Bar Association
- PLAC (formerly Product Liability Advisory Council)
- Defense Research Institute
- Mississippi Automotive Manufacturers Association
Juris Doctor: University of Mississippi School of Law, 1983 (Articles Editor, Mississippi Law Journal)
Bachelor's Degree: Economics, Vanderbilt University, 1980